Community Engagement Initiative of the Year
This award recognises a tunnelling team that has implemented an outstanding community engagement initiative.
We will be looking for project teams that can demonstrate an understanding and recognition of the importance of working with local communities. These teams will have not just sought to mitigate the impact of construction on the community but provided true outreach.
Evidence may be offered of how the project team:
- Recognised and actively engaged with a community
- Had a clear understanding of the community’s needs and how these were met
- Valued the provision of excellent community service
- Have left a positive legacy in the community
Initiatives that would be encouraged would include:
- Examples of effective engagement with local schools that serve to improve understanding of the importance of tunnelling projects
- Examples of working with colleges leading to opportunities for local employment on the project
- Examples of working with affected local community groups that have demonstrably led to an improved solution that lessens the impact on the community
Judges will be particularly interested to hear about:
- The drivers that led to the initiative being launched
- Any longer-term impacts prompted by the initiative
- Cost implications of the initiative
- Why this initiative goes beyond normal practices
Entries should relate to projects where the community engagement initiative was deployed between January 2018 and July 2019.