Environment & Sustainability Initiative of the Year
This award recognises initiatives introduced or championed within the tunnelling industry which have improved environmental and sustainability performance of a project or programme.
Examples of initiatives that would be encouraged includes ones that have led to a reduced environmental impact during construction – such as lower emissions, lower noise or less dust – or have resulted in reduced whole-life impact, such as less whole-life carbon.
Judges will look for evidence of an environment and sustainability initiative that demonstrates:
- Working with external stakeholders, such as the UK-based Green Construction Board
- Referencing industry leading initiatives/examples
- The initiative being embedded into working practices
- A contribution to a company’s commitment to reach net zero carbon
- Repeatability of the initiative on other schemes
Entrants should consider presenting details on drivers that led to the initiative being launched and the longer term impacts prompted of the new approach, as well as the cost implications of the initiative.
The entry should relate to an initiative that was championed between January 2019 and July 2020.