Health, Safety & Wellbeing Initiative of the Year
This award is to reward an initiative introduced or championed within the tunnelling and/or underground space industry which has enabled a project or programme team to deliver improved performance with respect to health, safety and welfare of the workforce.
The entry should demonstrate how the initiative led to increased health, safety or welfare on the project and how it improved productivity and/or employee satisfaction.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by a panel of our judges in an open session at the Festival and feature in New Civil Engineer so you must be prepared to share your concept to a wide audience.
Entries are free and you are able to enter as many as you see fit, having reviewed the specific category criteria.
Judges will look for a health, safety and wellbeing initiative being applied in a project or programme that:
- Works with external stakeholders e.g. HSE
- Learns from or was triggered by an accident/incident/near miss
- References industry leading initiatives/examples
- Has been demonstrably embedded into working practices
Initiatives that would be encouraged would include:
- Examples of effective safety management both at organisational and operational level
- Employee recognition schemes that promote wellbeing
- Links to company initiatives around occupational and mental health
- Initiatives to promote a healthy workforce
Judges will be particularly interested to hear about:
- The drivers that led to the initiative being launched
- Any longer-term impacts prompted by the initiative
- Cost implications of the initiative
- Why this initiative goes beyond normal practices
The entry should relate to an initiative that was championed between January 2017 and July 2018.