Health, Safety & Wellbeing Initiative of the Year
This award recognises initiatives introduced or championed within the tunnelling industry which have enabled a project or programme team to deliver improved performance with respect to health, safety and welfare of the workforce.
The entry should demonstrate how the initiative led to increased health, safety or welfare on the project and how it improved productivity and/or employee satisfaction.
Initiatives that would be encouraged would include examples of effective safety management both at organisational and operational level; employee recognition schemes that promote wellbeing; links to company initiatives around occupational and mental health or inclusivity; or initiatives to promote a healthy workforce.
Judges will look for an initiative being applied in a project or programme that:
- Works with external stakeholders, such as the Health and Safety Executive in the UK
- Shows the drivers for adoption, especially were it learns from/was triggered by an accident/incident/near miss
- References industry leading initiatives/examples
- Has been demonstrably embedded into working practices
- Demonstrates a clear step change from accepted practice
Entries should detail the longer-term impacts prompted by the initiative and the benefits of the concept, as well as the cost implications of the initiative.
The entry should relate to an initiative that was championed between January 2019 and July 2020.