Innovation in Concept Design
This award seeks to showcase and give publicity to a tunnelling concept or proposal that would see underground space used in a creative way to address a specific challenge. The challenge being addressed could be urban densification, energy production and storage, inter or intra-city transport, water supply and distribution or any other infrastructure challenge.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by a panel of our judges in an open session at the Festival and feature in New Civil Engineer so you must be prepared to share your concept to a wide audience.
The concept or proposal does not need to have secured financial or political support but it should be possible to offer evidence of how the opinion and support of key stakeholders has been sought. The concept or proposal could be entirely unique, a bespoked version of an existing concept, or the first use of an existing concept in a new territory.
Ensure you are able to explain:
- The specific challenge you are seeking to solve and your clear understanding of the infrastructure need and how this could be met with your innovation
- The specifics of your innovation and how it builds on or differs from other industry established practices/solutions
- The process that is driving development of the innovation, highlighting any feasibility studies carried out, trials done on other projects or work underway with external stakeholders and/or industry bodies. Specify any investments made.
- The specific results expected including any early feedback or support or other evidence that it has the potential of receiving approval
- How you are sharing your work with the wider industry such that the art of tunnelling might be advanced
There is no specific timeframe for this category, the only requirement being that the concept or proposal is or was being actively promoted between January 2018 and July 2019.