Innovation in Concept Design
This award seeks to showcase a tunnelling concept or proposal that would see underground space used in a creative way to address a specific challenge. The challenge being addressed could be urban densification, energy production and storage, inter or intra-city transport, water supply and distribution or any other infrastructure challenge.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by a panel of our judges in an open session at the Festival and feature in New Civil Engineer so you must be prepared to share your concept to a wide audience.
The concept or proposal does not need to have secured financial or political support but it should be possible to offer evidence of how the opinion and support of key stakeholders has been sought. The concept or proposal could be entirely unique, a bespoke version of an existing concept or the first use of an previously used concept in a new territory.
Judges will be looking for your entry to address the following criteria:
- Explain the specific design and/or delivery challenge you are seeking to solve and your clear understanding of how this could be met with your innovation
- Showcase the specifics of the innovation and how it builds on or differs from other industry established practices/solutions
- Demonstration of the process driving development of the innovation, highlighting any feasibility studies carried out, trials done on other projects or work underway with external stakeholders and/or industry bodies. Specify any investments made.
- Details of results expected/delivered including any early feedback or support or other evidence that it has the potential to change the industry for the better
- How you are sharing your work with the wider industry to benefit the whole sector
There is no specific timeframe for this category, the only requirement being that the concept or proposal is or was being actively promoted between January 2019 and July 2020.