Innovation in Design & Delivery
This category recognises projects that are driving the use of innovative methods and smart technologies in the global tunnelling industry. These innovations could be in design or construction and could be technology-led. We will be looking for projects that are examples of how the industry is changing the way that underground assets are designed and built.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by a panel of our judges in an open session at the Festival and feature in New Civil Engineer so you must be prepared to share your concept to a wide audience.
Ensure you explain:
- The specific design and/or delivery challenge you are seeking to solve and your clear understanding of how this could be met with your innovation
- The specifics of your innovation and how it builds on or differs from other industry established practices/solutions
- The process that is driving development of the innovation, highlighting any feasibility studies carried out, trials done on other projects or work underway with external stakeholders and/or industry bodies. Specify any investments made.
- The specific results expected including any early feedback or support or other evidence that it has the potential to change the industry for the better
- How you are sharing your work with the wider industry such that the art of tunnelling might be advanced
The project on which the innovation has been deployed need not be complete, but the innovation must have been in development or use between January 2018 and July 2019.